Welicoruss - Siberian Heathen Horde

• Welicoruss are without a doubt one of the most promising black metal acts to come from Russia in the last few years. Actually, the band has already been in existence since 2002, when mastermind Alexey Boganov founded it as a solo project. Three years later, he joined forces with some other musicians to transform the project into a full-fledged band, yet it was only after the group re-located from the icy depths of their Siberian home to Prague a few years ago, that they also gained noticable recognition outside Russia. This makes their fourth album "Siberian Heathen Horde", released on 27th March 2020, their first studio output to be met with the newly gained plus of public interest, which was further bolstered by a series of fairly impressive live gigs the band had become known for over the last few years.

Indeed, "Siberian Heathen Horde" does yield some concessions to this new situation. For the first time in the band's history, the album-title as well as all of the song-titles are held in English instead of Russian. To me, personally, this is a gratifying innovation, always having preferred English songs over whatever native tongue a given band might speak, and I assume that most European fans will be of the same opinion. The English titles make the album appear much more easily accessible than the avowedly very frostbitten Cyrillic inscriptions of the band's previous albums.

Musically however, Welicoruss have remained mostly true to their style, only introducing moderate levels of innovation - which is worth mentioning, considering that all of the band's members save for singer Alexey have been exchanged since the last album. Despite this, the band still pracices a symphonic brand of black metal, devoid only of the pagan-influence which was noticeable on some of their earlier work. Records of this genre naturally run the risk of over-using their symphonic features, thus drowning out the metal elements, but Welicoruss confidently avoid this issue, establishing a steady balance between the hard and the epic. On "Siberian Heathen Horde", you will find plenty of skull-crushing black metal-fury, which is indeed at the core of this record, but it is skillfully interwoven with tender, almost fragile melodies, the transitions between these two poles of Welicoruss' music coming across as natural and fluent.

Looking at the individual songs of the album, it is quite difficult to pick a favourite, as this is a very consistent record. The songs clearly profite from the order which they are placed in on the tracklist and so the album is best listenned to in its entirity. However, it is beyond dispute that the opener "Spellcaster" and the title track "Siberian Heathen Horde" kick off the record in truly magnificent fashion, two striking examples of the band's most skillful execution of their style of symphonic black metal. Some of the other songs such as "Frostbounded" or "Tree Of Nations" are not as memorable, albeit still well above average. All of the songs are rather short and concise, given the genre's penchant for more sprawling compositions, and this does definitely benefit the album. The eight tracks plus the short instrumental "Crossroad Of Life" clock in at just about fourty-five minutes, preventing the album from becoming as tedious and strenuous an experience as some of their genre colleagues. Finally, the splendid performance of drummer Ilya Tabachnik on this album should not go unmentioned. He keeps all the different song elements together with ease and sets his own accents where necessary, notably in the atmospheric drum beats leading up to the opening track.

On the whole, this programmatically titled fourth studio album may well be the one that opens to Welicoruss the gates to broad public appreciation. "Siberian Heathen Horde" is an eclectic yet coherent, high-quality black metal-effort that does not lose out to most of the works the genre's more well-known acts released over the last few years. Having never considered myself the biggest of black metal-fans, I recommend this album to anyone who has an ear for the dramatic and wants to embrace the sonic manifestation of the wide, frosty plains of of Siberia in all its beauty. Genre-devotees will anyhow pick up this record sooner or later.

Highlights: Spellcaster; Siberian Heathen Horde; Metaphysical

Watch here the video made for the song "Spellcaster":

Externer Inhalt
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Strapped on the table
    The operation begins
    Caught in the fable
    The doctor is in...

• 5 years went by between Az Esm' and the new Siberian Heathen Horden record.

And Hell Yeah - That caused a golden disc! Fantastic mixture of symphonic elements with black metal \m/

I must tell you, that i know Welicoruss since about 5 years. Bought an album and visited many live gigs.

From my feeling, the forerunner records reflect a whole different image. Not only the language changed, the musical enhancement is huge!

Welicoruss was always an awesome live band. Tough guys anyway at least since the Crewsade of Metal spectacle xD

The records went a bit by myself.. But with this one, they made the change!

My favorite is the title song Siberian Heathen Horde: A perfect earworm! Great riff and a sing-along refrain!

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

If you want to see Welicoruss with Eisregen and Grabak, then checkout there tour dates for autumn this year:

welicoruss.jpg

Conclusion: Stay as you are guys and keep rocking \m/

Stay Heavy

\M/ihe

• And now my little review of the third and newest album of Welicoruss. "Siberian Heathen Horde." And I got a little surprised right at the start. It's sung in english. Strange but not bad. Unlike for example Alien Weaponry who are lacking a bit of passion in their english-sung songs Welicoruss are succeeding quite well with the language change. With that and an, a bit more melodic but also more sophisticated sound it feels like they are trying to aim for the international market. Now a small look into the actual Songs.
    The first two Songs "Spellcaster" and the titletrack "Siberian Heathen Horde" are not bad but cannot fully convince me. Then follows maybe the strongest part of the album in form of the three songs "Path of Seductions", "Frostbounded" and "Metaphysical." The last one is a collaboration with Rob Carson singer of Xaon. The album then loses a bit its run before it has one last high with "The Prophecy."
    Last Words: If you like a melodic mix between Symphonic Black/Pagan Metal you make nothing wrong with this album. I think it's maybe their best album so far and right now one of the best I have heard this year. If I had to name one bad point it's that the album lacks a really mindblowing song. But I'm excited to see them live again in autumn on tour with Eisregen because I know them as a really strong live band.
    Rating: 7,5/10

Why so serious?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!